Surveying Society Minutes 2006 -2007
Meetings are held Mondays at noon in room T19 (Tech Center).
Monday September 6, 2006
First order of business was the determination of a
permanent meeting time. This was put to a vote and determined to be Monday at
Geo Caching BBQ-9/8/06 11am-2pm
Jon was made in charge of prizes. We have $100 in SAF funds for prizes, with additional money available from the club treasurey.
Some suggestions for prizes were:
there will be thirty caches that need prizes
Ed Connelly volunteered to buy food for the event.
Haunted Forest - October ??
Some thought with SGA of changing the event but they are not yet sure exactly how this will be accomplished.
Habitat for Humanity-date unknown
There was a call from the president and faculty to try to line up speakers and interviewers for the campus.
A report from the past president stated that we have approximately $900 from last year.
Suggestions for ways to use the money were:
Monday September 11, 2006
Geo caching event went well. There were four $50 gift
certificates as prizes, given out by a random drawing. Three out of the four
were selected, and so it was asked by the president what to do with the
remaining prize. It was put to a vote and decided to give it back to the book
store and put the money back in the treasury. There were 30 participants and 20
of the caches found.
The next order of business was SAF proposals
ACSM Conference March 9th-12th in St. Louis
-ask for money for travel and lodging
-only one student went to the conference last year using no money from the SGA or SAF funds
-seems to be more interest in going than last year
ask for money for gas and food
Don reported that they are supposed to distinguish between travel for fun and academic travel this year, so we should be able to get more money.
-three weeks in October
-talk in SGA about changing the format
-the club should start thinking about how we will organize it's section of the event
We will need someone to go over and pick out supplies when they are laid out in the upper floor of the commons.
The Northeast chapter of PSLS is having a picnic/EDM calibration this Saturday.
It will be held at PPL River land Park, the calibration is at 11am and the picnic at noon.
Monday September 18, 2006
Merchandise supply was reviewed in preparation for the
conference in January. A committee was formed to inventory the merchandise, to
coordinate what we want to order this year, and the ordering of any new items.
Ed Connelly -chair
Haunted Forest is an haunted walk event run by SGA to benefit THON. The surveying society traditionally mans the area at the end of the walk behind the gym
-same area as last year near the pond behind the gym
-first date is October 12th, others to be determined
Haunted Forest Committee formed
Moon Lake Park
-The park has agreed to pay for the supplies for our community service project there
-They have not yet indicated the scope of work
Justin, Gwen and Ed indicated interest in working on the project
work will begin as soon as possible to avoid the cold weather
Justin will send in a proposal
The Northeast chapter of The Pennsylvania Society of Land Surveyors is having a picnic on September 23rd at the River lands Park 11-12:30pm
EDM calibration and picnic
Please go and support them
Monday September 25, 2006
Signup lists are posted on the board in TC 19
Dates are October 12-14th, 19-20, and 26-28 times:7-11pm all nights often goes after 11pm. Volunteers are especially needed October 26-28, as many of the upper classmen will be taking the LSIT. Volunteers are also needed for a work day October 8th at noon, meet behind the commons. All construction must be completed by October 8th.
Moon Lake Park
Faculty are very enthusiastic about the idea, and would like to set high order GPS monuments.
-Still no scope of work provided it will most likely include: high order control monuments set in concrete, road map using handheld GPS, Trail map also with GPS after leaves are off the trees.
-Justin B will send out a letter requesting the necessary supplies
Merchandise Committee report
stainless steal Coffee mugs min order of 12
Bumper stickers saying Penn State Surveying
L.L. Bean again possibly
must contact Don Bara to print T-Shirts and Sweatshirts
Dennis Stinson's stepfather is also a possible contact for this
Budget-submitted, will hear results after the president's meeting
Monday October 2, 2006
October 8th noon
workday is scheduled
next weeks meeting will be in the commons to help setup for Haunted Forest
-decided to purchase 50 T-shirts and sweatshirts
-a proposal has been made by the surveying society to form a committee to examine the issue of parking next to the tech center.
Justin has not heard from the park office regarding the Moon Lake Park project.
Monday October 9, 2006
Pocono Chapter Meeting October 12th at the Mountain View Restaurant in Clifford
Merchandise Committee Report
-approximately 20 coffee cups have been preordered so far
-we will use Dennis's stepfather's company for the T-Shirts, he will bring the catalogue to the next meeting
-moved to a new location in the woods were the cornstalks used to be
-there won't be anything by the gym
-start at 5pm on Thursday to finalize props
we have a verbal agreement for phase I
Phase I consists of
handheld GPS to map the roads and to set permanent concrete monuments
Supplies to request include: flagging, 20 metal disks for monuments, paint, hubs, rebar, and concrete.
Monday October 16, 2006
- We had a good turnout
-We especially need people for the last weekend in October due to the Fundementals of Surveying Exam on that Saturday
-there were 15 people on Thursday and 95 people on Friday
-got purchase order through
-must still submit proposal
-plan to start work on the project in November after Haunted Forest
30 cups have been preordered, made a decision to purchase 50 because of reduced cost of large order and marketablity
-got quotes for license plates they cost $6 a piece if you get 40 with two colors
October 26th Northeast Chapter meeting in TC 19 at 7pm
Don will present on his work in Alaska
Monday October 23, 2006
Monday October 30, 2006
The president proposed an amendment to the constitution to
include the webmaster as an officer. This motion was seconded by Ed Connelly
and will be put to a vote at our next meeting.
There was discussion about the difference between the executive board and the executive committee, but no conclusion was reached on this matter.
-There will be a signup sheet posted for people to help out
-Justin, Ed, and Don will meet to test the GPS receivers and to create a work plan for the project this weekend
-it was decided that we would flag the trails that had been completed and draw any intersections
-a visit was made to the park and the trails were found to be very confusing, so it will be important to keep track of what has been mapped.
Monday Nov. 6th
Manhard Consulting from Illinois will be in TC 19 at noon during the meeting to talk about the company
interviews will take place in the morning
Thursday Nov. 9th
Fugro Chance Huston, TX
an offshore drilling company will speak at 6pm looking for summer help
Haunted Forest was a success, and the campus made $3000 over the six days. Thank you to everyone who helped out, and remember that you need to do community service for the club to attend the PSLS conference
There will be a cleanup day this Sunday at noon, meet at the commons
We received a better quote for the T-Shirts from a different company, and we have prices from Dennis' stepfather's company. There was concern as to the final design from the general membership, and this will be finalized in the near future. Coffee cups will be in this coming Tuesday.
Monday January 29, 2007
Jon Geisel, an active surveying society member is in the
hospital, and a card was passed around to send to him. Justin suggested that we
allocate money to bring him food when he comes out of the hospital, and this was
put to a vote and passed. Jon became ill after the PSLS conference and is due
back in two weeks.
The conference last week seemed to go well. Everyone who said they would attend a workshop actually went to my knowledge. We sold approximately $500 in merchandise. The polos were the biggest sellers. Next year we should print more resume packets as we ran out Tuesday morning.
The polos that have been pre-ordered are available for pickup from Dennis Stinson
We ran out of some sizes at the conference and an inventory of what's left needs to be taken.
ACSM Conference March 10th-13th
The club will pay for the hotel rooms for the people who attend the conference. We will put two people per room. As long as you donate 8 hours of your time at the conference admission is free, students will just have to pay for airfare approx $300 from Philly, and food. From past experience I can tell you that it is similar in format to the PSLS conference, but you meet surveyors and students from many different states. Four people have indicated interest in going this includes:
If anyone else is interested please let Justin know. The deadline to sign up is 2/12/07.
Moon Lake Project
Justin started digging a hole for the first monument using a shovel on Saturday. He will continue digging on Tuesday at 10am if anyone wants to help out. An AutoCAD team was established to design and compile the map. Dennis S, Gwen, Jared, and Ed volunteered to do this with Jared heading the committee. They will report back next meeting with a format for the map.
Upcoming Activities also include the Traverse Challenge, and the publishing of the Newsletter.
Monday February 05, 2007
New balance is $1864.22 because of a mistake in recording the
We've decided not to fund ACSM because of lack of interest and funds.
Coler and Colantonio will be here on Feb. 16th at 6pm in TC 101 for company information, and from 9 - 11am to speak on riparian and littoral rights.
Lane Construction will be here for interviews March 28th at noon.
Moon Lake CAD team
team will separate data into different layers look at the example posted online for suggestions
A proposal was made to allocate $500 to Lambda Sigma to bring Walt Robillard to campus
Monday February 12, 2007
Suggested membership incentives from the Student Leadership Conference Justin and Gwen attended.
Will have final draft for review next week
Vote on spending for Walt Robillard
Will vote on the spending of $270 on food for the remainder of the semester at the next meeting
Monday February 19, 2007
The society purchased a gift card to Applebee's for John Geisel who is in the hospital
For next year potential sources of ACSM funding
ACSM local section
get companies to sponsor us
The club authorized the spending of $30 per week on food for the remainder of the semester. The food will be free to all who attend the meetings. Darell Kelso is in charge of ordering the food.
Monday February 26, 2007
no meeting because of compressed schedule
March 5, 2007
Don't have final printing costs
address labels $11
End of Year Party Ideas-Bowling or SWB Yankees
Traverse Challenge-Ed, Matt Morris, and Zach will set the course. Will have it done by April 1st.
March 19, 2007
Reviewed budget for the remainder of the year, it will include:
End of Year Party, Newsletter, and food for meetings. Members were reminded
about the need to have as little money as possible in the club budget at the end
of the year.
$500 budgeted for end of year party
The choices have been narrowed down to a Wilkes-Barre Yankees game or bowling at Chackos. This means that it will be on one of two days they are home in April. The only thing we can afford at the Yankees is the buy tickets at the group rate with maybe a hotdog and soda. The bowling can be any day but there are set times when you can do it, we are thinking 5 people to a lane. Darrell made a motion to email around a signup sheet to figure out how many people are interested in coming so we can decide how much we are going to spend. This was seconded and the deadline to signup is next Monday. On Monday we will vote on whether we want to go bowling or to the baseball game.
The final number for the newsletter is $425 for printing and postage. Gwen made a motion to vote on the newsletter spending. The motion was seconded. The vote was 8 for the publication, and 3 against. The newsletter will be taken to Office Max Wednesday to be printed, and should be ready to fold for the next meeting.
April 2, 2007
Mandatory Meeting in order to have a good turnout for nominations for officer
We had a very good turnout, at least 25 people attended.
The list of those signed up for the end of the year party was reviewed. Justin will buy the tickets as soon as he gets the check from SGA.
It was decided to elect President, Vice President and Treasurer in keeping with what has been done in the past.
Nominees have one week to write a short speech on why they are a good fit for
the job. Officers will be elected at the next meeting, April 9th.
The newsletter has been printed and was brought to the meeting to be folded. We folded approximately 500 newsletters in 45 minutes! Thanks to all the members who helped fold! The next meeting we will put address labels on the newsletters.
Return to the Society Main Page